The city bikes are available from over 100 bike stations in and around the city centre. You need an electronic smartcard to use the bikes. The bikes are available between 6 am and midnight every day in the summer season.
Smartcards for 2013 cost NOK 100 and are available at bysykler.no/oslo. You have to be 18 years old and have a Norwegian postal address to get a card. The Tourist Information Centres in Oslo no longer sell personal smartcards.
Smartcards can be rented for 24 hours at the Tourist Information Centre by the City Hall. The price is NOK 100. Here are the main rules in the agreement that you will need to sign:
- The bike card must be returned to the same Tourist Information Office within its opening hours.
- The deposit on your credit card (VISA, Mastercard or American Express) must cover the cost of the bike (NOK 3,250) in case the bike is lost or stolen from you.
- You can rent a maximum of 2 bike cards for each credit card used as deposit.
- If the bike card is not returned to the Tourist Information Office, your credit card will be charged NOK 250 per card.
- You can use the same bike for up to 3 hours before you need to park it at a city bike station. You may then pick up another bike at the same or any other bike station.
- Bike locks are not allowed. The bikes can only be parked at the city bike stations.